Pursuant to section 100.101, Fla. Stat., a special election shall be held:
- If no person has been elected at a general election to fill an office which was required to be filled by election at such general election.
- If a vacancy occurs in the office of state senator or member of the state house of representatives.
- If it is necessary to elect presidential electors, by reason of the offices of President and Vice President both having become vacant.
- If a vacancy occurs in the office of member from Florida of the House of Representatives of Congress.
Currently Scheduled Special Elections
State Senate District 20
- The special election for State Senate District 20 consists of Hillsborough, Pasco, and Polk Counties
- Candidate Memo (PDF)
- Committee Memo (PDF)
- Notice of Special Election (including qualifying information and reporting dates)
- Executive Order 20-136 (PDF)
- Election Dates
- Special Primary Election: August 18, 2020
- Special (General) Election: November 3, 2020
- Voter Registration/Bookclosing Deadline
- Special Primary Election: July 20, 2020
- Special (General) Election: October 5, 2020
Special Elections Archive
For information on prior special elections held in 2017 or 2018, please see our Special Elections Archive.